Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thing #7

Technology is the wave of the future!

In my first web programming class we were taught the most important lesson of technology: Technology will double ever eightteen months. Why is this important? Well Think about the implications that entails, in eighteen months YOUR electronic devices will be next to obsolete because technology has expanded beyond it. Your computer is now outdated, your ipod doesn't have the latest features available to it, your cell phone is old, and probably not touch screen yet like mine (oooooOOOOOoooooh, burn ;) hehehe). That being said what exactly can we do about it? Well unless your rich, probably nothing. My suggestion is simple, buy the very best you can get ahold of when you need to buy a new item. Why? Well Thing about this. Computers become obsolete in roughly 2 years if you buy the cheap, currently marketed, prebuild models. For most people these are their sources of the current technology status. That is fine, but you can do better. I bought my computer 5 years ago custom built for $1500. Expensive right? When I bought it, people were still using 1ghz processors, 256 memory, and 20 gig hard drives (technobabble, meaning average computing speed and storage) I however got a 3ghz processor, 1gig of memory, and a 120 gig hard drive. now if you don't know how memory works, it comes in quantites of base 2 (1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024 or 1 gig, ect, ect) These can be combined for various results but typically people will stay with listed amounts. So as you can see I am many times the better than your average consumer in my computers stats. So why all the explaination? So I can tell you this, I am JUST NOW becoming outdated with my computer. By doing some research into what is ACTUALLY available to me, I can stay well ahead of the power curve and spend less money in the long run (well less for me, since I am a power gamer). But the same principles still apply to everyone.

2 comments:

groserita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
groserita said...

This is a good suggestion, but I'd like to add that a lot of people who come to the library to use the computers, don't have money to buy a computer of their very own. So that's why the library should have updated technology.