Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Curiosity killed the cat...

But at least the cat died knowing. I'm sure by now your wondering about the name. That one has quite a story tied to it. My uncle and I played a lot of MUD's (Multi-User Dungeons, the predecessor to the Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game [MMORPG]). In one of these various MUD's we established a secret society, or more precisely, the Collegium of Shadows. Since the day I threw the name at him, I have had a soft spot for it, a huge one in fact. To this day I continue to improve and develop the goals and purpose of the colligium, and we don't even play those characters anymore.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Alright - out with it! Which game did you play? While not much of a gamer myself, I got a bit obsessed with "Modus Operandi" in the mid-nineties. It was a bit more like a text-based Second Life (no fantastical or sci-fi aspects, mostly mimicked real society).

Thanks to playing MO (as we called it) through my formative years, I've now got a typing speed of 82 words per minute.

Faen Everlorn said...

Hmm I played a few. The Dead of Night was my primary for a long time, this one actually comes from MozartMud. My uncle and I had character classes with ShadowMage as one of them. Reading up on them, and their skill sets we put a 'society' together and after much debate came to an agreement on the name Collegium of Shadows. I love it, and still use it :)